Spectre+Meltdown

Michal Suchánek msuchanek at suse.de
Fri Jan 5 08:27:04 AEDT 2018

Hello,

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 16:09:34 +0100
Christian Zigotzky <chzigotzky at xenosoft.de> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Do we have some information regarding Spectre+Meltdown for our users?
>
> It could be that we have some security issues in our PowerPC CPUs.
>
> Links:
>
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Kernel-Retpoline-Patches
>
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=x86-PTI-EPYC-Linux-4.15-Test

Since the vulnerability details were disclosed already you should see
patches addressing it in your local kernel git repository. AFAICT some
patches for preventing speculative execution in some random parts of
the kernel as well as adding an extra flush when returning from kernel
to userspace are applicable to powerpc.

I am not familiar with all the details so you are free to investigate
the code for yourself or fish some article from someone who really
knows what the thing is all about and how it affects powerpc in
particular.

Thanks

Michal