Not able to boot cuImage for the target board with MPC8270 processor

Scott Wood oss at buserror.net
Thu Aug 30 05:16:23 AEST 2018

On Wed, 2018-08-29 at 04:14 -0700, sgosavi1 wrote:
> Press <foo> to STOP AUTOBOOT!:autoboot in 2 seconds
> ## Booting image at ffc00000 ...
>    Image Name:   Linux-4.15.13
>    Created:      2018-08-29  10:45:39 UTC
>    Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
>    Data Size:    1166748 Bytes =  1.1 MB
>    Load Address: 00400000
>    Entry Point:  004007a4
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
>    Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
>

> I also checked the kernel dump at location associated with "_log_buf" symbol
> in the System.map file in RAM but did not get any debug info.

If you didn't get any output beyond this then it's probably[1] failing in the
bootwrapper, not the kernel itself -- so neither _log_buf nor
CONFIG_PPC_EARLY_DEBUG would help.

> Please can anyone suggest if I am missing something here and how can I get
> the debug output on my serial console during bootup.

To debug, if you aren't able to use JTAG, add code to the bootwrapper to
manually poke at known CPM serial addresses early on, to see how far it's
progressing.

Are you sure the device tree you're using is correct for your board, including
all addresses being where your U-Boot configured them?

-Scott

[1] Another possibility would be that it's booting, but serial output isn't
working.