DT case sensitivity

Rob Herring robh at kernel.org
Thu Aug 23 10:47:34 AEST 2018

The default DT string handling in the kernel is node names and
compatibles are case insensitive and property names are case sensitive
(Sparc is the the only variation and is opposite). It seems only PPC
(and perhaps only Power Macs?) needs to support case insensitive
comparisons. It was probably a mistake to follow PPC for new arches
and we should have made everything case sensitive from the start. So I
have a few questions for the DT historians. :)

What PPC systems are case insensitive? Can we limit that to certain systems?

AFAICT, dtc at least (if not anything FDT based) has always been case
sensitive at least for node and property names. I'm not sure about
compatible strings?

Anyone see potential issues with switching all platforms except PPC
and Sparc to case sensitive comparisons?

Rob