[RFC 0/4] Virtio uses DMA API for all devices

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at redhat.com
Sat Aug 4 05:07:35 AEST 2018

On Fri, Aug 03, 2018 at 10:58:36AM -0500, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-08-03 at 00:05 -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > >   2- Make virtio use the DMA API with our custom platform-provided
> > > swiotlb callbacks when needed, that is when not using IOMMU *and*
> > > running on a secure VM in our case.
> >
> > And total NAK the customer platform-provided part of this.  We need
> > a flag passed in from the hypervisor that the device needs all bus
> > specific dma api treatment, and then just use the normal plaform
> > dma mapping setup.
>
> Christoph, as I have explained already, we do NOT have a way to provide
> such a flag as neither the hypervisor nor qemu knows anything about
> this when the VM is created.

I think the fact you can't add flags from the hypervisor is
a sign of a problematic architecture, you should look at
adding that down the road - you will likely need it at some point.

However in this specific case, the flag does not need to come from the
hypervisor, it can be set by arch boot code I think.
Christoph do you see a problem with that?