[EXTERNAL]Re: FSL serial 166550 errata broken?

Joakim Tjernlund Joakim.Tjernlund at infinera.com
Fri Sep 29 01:54:22 AEST 2017

On Wed, 2017-09-27 at 15:32 +0000, York Sun wrote:
> On 09/27/2017 04:03 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:

> > > Jocke,
> > >
> > > Did you mean MPC8321?
> > >
> > > I personally don't have experience debugging this erratum. Have you
> > > tried to contact the patch author Paul Gortmaker to see how he managed
> > > to get it work?
> >
> > No, but I just found out it is u-boot related. If I use an very old u-boot it works.
> > Between then and now we did a massive upgrade of u-boot and now if breaks. And no,
> > bisect not possible due to local u-boot mods :)
>
> How old? It is a good sign that an old U-Boot works. Git bisect would be
> a good tool if practical. Sometimes I have to reapply some local changes
> for every step of bisect to make it useful. You mileage may vary though.
>

> > Any idea what could be different? I cannot see and I have tested
> > what I could see/think of but now I am out of ideas.
>
> I don't believe we have much change for MPC8321 for a long time. If any
> change has impact on kernel but not U-Boot itself, it may be other
> errata workarounds.
>
> I presume this happens on your own board. If I am in your shoes, I would
> try to reduce the number of local commits and reapply them to various
> U-Boot tags to further narrow down the search scope. In the mean time,
> getting register dump to compare the good and bad may be another way to go.

God, this was no fun exercise but I think I found the offending commit: 82dda962f0a6449672df3378bb6b5fe54372a927
    serial: Unconditionally enable CONFIG_SERIAL_MULTI

    Enable CONFIG_SERIAL_MULTI for all builds of U-Boot. That includes
    both SPL builds and non-SPL builds, everything. To avoid poluting
    this patch with removal of ifdef-endif constructions containing
    CONFIG_SERIAL_MULTI, the CONFIG_SERIAL_MULTI is temporarily added
    into CPPFLAGS in config.mk . This will be again removed in following
    patch.