[Patch 2/2]: powerpc/hotplug/mm: Fix hot-add memory node assoc

Michael Bringmann mwb at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu May 25 09:55:08 AEST 2017

On 05/24/2017 06:19 AM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> Michael Bringmann <mwb at linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:

>>> Is it really necessary to preinitialize these empty nodes using setup_node_data()? When you do memory hotadd into a node that was not used at boot, the node data already gets set up by
>>>
>>> add_memory
>>>  add_memory_resource
>>>    hotadd_new_pgdat
>>>      arch_alloc_nodedata <-- allocs the pg_data_t
>>>      free_area_init_node <-- sets NODE_DATA(nid)->node_id, etc.
>>>
>>> Removing setup_node_data() from that loop leaves only the call to node_set(). If 3af229f2071f (which reduces node_possible_map) was reverted, you wouldn't need to do that either.
>>
>> With or without 3af229f2071f, we would still need to add something, somewhere to add new
>> bits to the 'node_possible_map'.  That is not being done.
>
> You mustn't add bits to the possible map after boot.
>
> That's its purpose, to tell you what nodes could ever *possibly* exist.

The problem that I have been encountering is that the 'possible map' did *not*
show all of the possible nodes.  Rather, it showed only the nodes that were
assigned memory at boot-up.  If more memory were hot-added to the kernel, it
could be assigned into one of the nodes that were skipped at boot.  However,
nothing was updating the 'node_possible_map' correctly in the kernel memory
code.

Reza pointed out a code change in commit 3af229f2071f that has not made it into
the 4.12 checkout i.e. removing the instruction that reduces the node_possible_map.
This may well be a suitable replacement for the code that I have here, and I
will test it here next.

> cheers

Later.

--