AW: problem with cuImage.mpc834x_mds image

Giuseppe Lippolis giu.lippolis at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 08:27:58 AEDT 2017

> On Fri, 2016-05-27 at 23:12 +0200, Giuseppe Lippolis wrote:
> > Dear All,
> > I'm trying with buildroot to build the linux-4.4.3 for an iomega 150d
> > machine mounting the mpc8347E sys.

[...]

> > Finalizing device tree... flat tree at 0x94d120
> >

> > But at this point the process crash and the system is reset.
> > It should be something near the handover between the first kenel boot
> > stage and the vmlinux start, but I do not have a jtag to proceed the
> > investigation.

[..]

> > Any suggestion?
>
> Check (with serial output) that flow control reaches the very end of the
> bootwrapper before it jumps to Linux.  Use the same code that you use in
> head.S (with loop added in both cases).  Print the entry address, and some
> bytes loaded from that address to confirm the image is there.  Check that the
> BATs are set up correctly, etc.
>
> -Scott

Hi Scott, thanks for your tips.
I proceed my investigation using now Linux-4.10.4 and I found two issue:

1) the U-Boot 1.1.4 make some mistake when decompress the gzip -9. Therefore, as a workaround, I currently modify the wrapper to use the uncompressed image.

Nevertheless the image is crashing during the boot.

I modified the  cpu_setup_6xx.S in this way (in order to print debug char on the console) :

.equ cnsladdr, 0xe0004500

_GLOBAL(__setup_cpu_603)
        mflr    r5
BEGIN_MMU_FTR_SECTION
        li      r10,0
        mtspr   SPRN_SPRG_603_LRU,r10           /* init SW LRU tracking */
END_MMU_FTR_SECTION_IFSET(MMU_FTR_NEED_DTLB_SW_LRU)

        lis     r23, cnsladdr at ha
        addi    r23, r23, cnsladdr at l
        li      r25, 'i'
        stb     r25, 0(r23)

BEGIN_FTR_SECTION
        bl      __init_fpu_registers

        lis     r23, cnsladdr at ha
        addi    r23, r23, cnsladdr at l
        li      r25, 'l'
        stb     r25, 0(r23)

END_FTR_SECTION_IFCLR(CPU_FTR_FPU_UNAVAILABLE)
        bl      setup_common_caches

        lis     r23, cnsladdr at ha
        addi    r23, r23, cnsladdr at l
        li      r25, 'm'
        stb     r25, 0(r23)

        mtlr    r5

        lis     r23, cnsladdr at ha
        addi    r23, r23, cnsladdr at l
        li      r25, 'm'
        stb     r25, 0(r23)
        trap

        blr

and now I get:

Finalizing device tree... flat tree at 0xbdb960
Il

Therefore the code crash during the call in:
        bl      setup_common_caches

I'm using the iomega_150d based on the MPC8347.

Do you have some tips about the setup_common_caches?

Thanks.
Bye.