1M hugepage size being registered on Linux

victora victora at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jun 20 23:47:47 AEST 2017

Hi Alistair/Jeremy,

I am working on a bug related to 1M hugepage size being registered on
Linux (Power 8 Baremetal - Garrison).

I was checking dmesg and it seems that 1M page size is coming from
firmware to Linux.

[    0.000000] base_shift=20: shift=20, sllp=0x0130, avpnm=0x00000000,
tlbiel=0, penc=2
[    1.528867] HugeTLB registered 1 MB page size, pre-allocated 0 pages

Should Linux support this page size? As afar as I know, this was an
unsupported page size in the past isn't it? If this should be supported
now, is there any specific reason for that?

Thanks,

Victor Aoqui
Software Engineer: Linux Kernel Backports
Linux Technology Center
IBM Systems