RESEND Re: [Patch 2/2]: powerpc/hotplug/mm: Fix hot-add memory node assoc

Michael Bringmann mwb at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jun 14 23:41:03 AEST 2017

Hello:

On 06/14/2017 12:27 AM, Balbir Singh wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 3:25 PM, Balbir Singh <bsingharora at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Michael Bringmann <mwb at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On a related note, we are discussing the addition of 2 new device-tree
>>> properties
>>> with Pete Heyrman and his fellows that should simplify the determination
>>> of the
>>> set of required nodes.
>>>
>>> * One property would provide the total/max number of nodes needed by the
>>> kernel
>>>   on the current hardware.
>>

> Yes, that would be nice to have
>

>>> * A second property would provide the total/max number of nodes that the
>>> kernel
>>>   could use on any system to which it could be migrated.
>>>

> Not sure about this one, are you suggesting more memory can be added
> depending on the migration target?

We would use only one of these numbers to allocate nodes.  I have only been
on the periphery of the discussions, so I can not communicate the full
reasoning as to why both measures would be needed.  We would like to have
the first number for node allocation/initialization, but if only the second
value were provided, we would likely need to use it.

>>> These properties aren't available, yet, and it takes time to define new
>>> properties
>>> in the PAPR and have them implemented in pHyp and the kernel.  As an
>>> intermediary
>>> step, the systems which are doing a lot of dynamic hot-add/hot-remove
>>> configuration
>>> could provide equivalent information to the PowerPC kernel with a command
>>> line
>>> parameter.  The 'numa.c' code would then read this value and fill in the
>>> necessary
>>> entries in the 'node_possible_map'.
>>>
>>> Would you foresee any problems with using such a feature?
>>

> Sorry my mailer goofed up, resending
>
> Balbir Singh

Thanks.

--