RESEND Re: [Patch 2/2]: powerpc/hotplug/mm: Fix hot-add memory node assoc

Michael Bringmann mwb at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jun 14 08:21:22 AEST 2017

On a related note, we are discussing the addition of 2 new device-tree properties
with Pete Heyrman and his fellows that should simplify the determination of the
set of required nodes.

* One property would provide the total/max number of nodes needed by the kernel
  on the current hardware.
* A second property would provide the total/max number of nodes that the kernel
  could use on any system to which it could be migrated.

These properties aren't available, yet, and it takes time to define new properties
in the PAPR and have them implemented in pHyp and the kernel.  As an intermediary
step, the systems which are doing a lot of dynamic hot-add/hot-remove configuration
could provide equivalent information to the PowerPC kernel with a command line
parameter.  The 'numa.c' code would then read this value and fill in the necessary
entries in the 'node_possible_map'.

Would you foresee any problems with using such a feature?

Thanks.

--
Michael W. Bringmann
Linux Technology Center