4.12-rc ppc64 4k-page needs costly allocations

Michael Ellerman mpe at ellerman.id.au
Thu Jun 8 15:44:29 AEST 2017

Hugh Dickins <hughd at google.com> writes:
> On Fri, 2 Jun 2017, Michael Ellerman wrote:
>> Hugh Dickins <hughd at google.com> writes:

>> > Thanks a lot for working that out.  Makes sense, fully understood now,
>> > nothing to worry about (though makes one wonder whether it's efficient
>> > to use ctors on high-alignment caches; or whether an internal "zero-me"
>> > ctor would be useful).
>>
>> Or should we just be using kmem_cache_zalloc() when we allocate from
>> those slabs?
>>
>> Given all the ctor's do is memset to 0.
>
> I'm not sure.  From a memory-utilization point of view, with SLUB,
> using kmem_cache_zalloc() there would certainly be better.
>
> But you may be forgetting that the constructor is applied only when a
> new slab of objects is allocated, not each time an object is allocated
> from that slab (and the user of those objects agrees to free objects
> back to the cache in a reusable state: zeroed in this case).

Ah yes, I was "forgetting" that :) - ie. didn't know it.

> So from a cpu-utilization point of view, it's better to use the ctor:
> it's saving you lots of redundant memsets.

OK. Presumably we guarantee (somewhere) that the page tables are zeroed
before we free them, which is a natural result of tearing down all
mappings?

But then I see other arches (x86, arm64 at least), which don't use a
constructor, and use __GPF_ZERO (via PGALLOC_GFP) at allocation time.

eg. arm64:

	pgd_cache = kmem_cache_create("pgd_cache", PGD_SIZE, PGD_SIZE,
				      SLAB_PANIC, NULL);
	return kmem_cache_alloc(pgd_cache, PGALLOC_GFP);

So that's a bit puzzling.

cheers