power server power consumption problem

Vaidyanathan Srinivasan svaidy at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Jun 8 02:00:15 AEST 2017

* ?????????? <1363017608 at qq.com> [2017-06-06 19:59:24]:

> I use ipmitool measuring power server power consumption, getting the following results without total power consumption as the following picture, do I add all power values as total power consumption? I am eager to receive someone's replay??Thanks?

The total system power is already aggregates as provided under ipmi
dcmi command.

You can read it like:

Inband: (within system)

root at ubuntu:~# ipmitool dcmi power reading

    Instantaneous power reading:                   485 Watts
    Minimum during sampling period:                485 Watts
    Maximum during sampling period:                486 Watts
    Average power reading over sample period:      485 Watts
    IPMI timestamp:                           Wed Jun  7 15:53:08 2017
    Sampling period:                          00000010 Seconds.
    Power reading state is:                   activated

Out-of-band: (Over BMC network)

[sv at drishya] ~ % ipmitool -I lanplus -H bmc -U bmc-user -P bmc-pw  dcmi power reading

    Instantaneous power reading:                   486 Watts
    Minimum during sampling period:                483 Watts
    Maximum during sampling period:                486 Watts
    Average power reading over sample period:      484 Watts
    IPMI timestamp:                           Wed Jun  7 15:54:11 2017
    Sampling period:                          00000010 Seconds.
    Power reading state is:                   activated

You do get component power consumption from IPMI SDR, you can get
those from inband or out-of-band. But you need not manually add it up.
On-Chip-Controller (OCC) does the power aggregation already and
exports it through DCMI power reading.

--Vaidy