[Patch 2/2]: powerpc/hotplug/mm: Fix hot-add memory node assoc

Michael Ellerman mpe at ellerman.id.au
Thu Jun 1 19:36:31 AEST 2017

Michael Bringmann <mwb at linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:

> On 05/29/2017 12:32 AM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
>> Reza Arbab <arbab at linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:

>>> I don't know if anything currently tries to do this. My interest in
>>> having this working is so that in the future, our coherent gpu memory
>>> could be added as a distinct node by the device driver.
>>
>> Sure. If/when that happens, we would hopefully still have some way to
>> limit the size of the possible map.
>>
>> That would ideally be a firmware property that tells us the maximum
>> number of GPUs that might be hot-added, or we punt and cap it at some
>> "sane" maximum number.
>>
>> But until that happens it's silly to say we can have up to 256 nodes
>> when in practice most of our systems have 8 or less.
>>
>> So I'm still waiting for an explanation from Michael B on how he's
>> seeing this bug in practice.
>
> I already answered this in an earlier message.

Which one? I must have missed it.

> I will give an example.
>
> * Let there be a configuration with nodes (0, 4-5, 8) that boots with 1 VP
>   and 10G of memory in a shared processor configuration.
> * At boot time, 4 nodes are put into the possible map by the PowerPC boot
>   code.

I'm pretty sure we never add nodes to the possible map, it starts out
with MAX_NUMNODES possible and that's it.

Do you actually see mention of nodes 0 and 8 in the dmesg?

What does it say?

> * Subsequently, the NUMA code executes and puts the 10G memory into nodes
>   4 & 5.  No memory goes into Node 0.  So we now have 2 nodes in the
>   node_online_map.
> * The VP and its threads get assigned to Node 4.
> * Then when 'initmem_init()' in 'powerpc/numa.c' executes the instruction,
>      node_and(node_possible_map, node_possible_map, node_online_map);
>   the content of the node_possible_map is reduced to nodes 4-5.
> * Later on we hot-add 90G of memory to the system.  It tries to put the
>   memory into nodes 0, 4-5, 8 based on the memory association map.  We
>   should see memory put into all 4 nodes.  However, since we have reduced
>   the 'node_possible_map' to only nodes 4 & 5, we can now only put memory
>   into 2 of the configured nodes.

Right. So it's not that you're hot adding memory into a previously
unseen node as you implied in earlier mails.

> # We want to be able to put memory into all 4 nodes via hot-add operations,
>   not only the nodes that 'survive' boot time initialization.  We could
>   make a number of changes to ensure that all of the nodes in the initial
>   configuration provided by the pHyp can be used, but this one appears to
>   be the simplest, only using resources requested by the pHyp at boot --
>   even if those resource are not used immediately.

I don't think that's what the patch does. It just marks 32 (!?) nodes as
online. Or if you're talking about reverting 3af229f2071f that leaves
you with 256 possible nodes. Both of which are wasteful.

The right fix is to make sure any nodes which are present at boot remain
in the possible map, even if they don't have memory/CPUs assigned at
boot.

What does your device tree look like? Can you send us the output of:

 $ lsprop /proc/device-tree

cheers