4.12-rc ppc64 4k-page needs costly allocations

Hugh Dickins hughd at google.com
Thu Jun 1 04:44:52 AEST 2017

[ Merging two mails into one response ]

On Wed, 31 May 2017, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Tue, 30 May 2017, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> > SLUB: Unable to allocate memory on node -1, gfp=0x14000c0(GFP_KERNEL)
> >   cache: pgtable-2^12, object size: 32768, buffer size: 65536, default order: 4, min order: 4
> >   pgtable-2^12 debugging increased min order, use slub_debug=O to disable.
>
> > I did try booting with slub_debug=O as the message suggested, but that
> > made no difference: it still hoped for but failed on order:4 allocations.
>
> I am curious as to what is going on there. Do you have the output from
> these failed allocations?

I thought the relevant output was in my mail.  I did skip the Mem-Info
dump, since that just seemed noise in this case: we know memory can get
fragmented.  What more output are you looking for?

> > I wanted to try removing CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG, but didn't succeed in that:
> > it seemed to be a hard requirement for something, but I didn't find what.
>
> CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG does not enable debugging. It only includes the code to
> be able to enable it at runtime.

Yes, I thought so.

> > I did try CONFIG_SLAB=y instead of SLUB: that lowers these allocations to
> > the expected order:3, which then results in OOM-killing rather than direct
> > allocation failure, because of the PAGE_ALLOC_COSTLY_ORDER 3 cutoff.  But
> > makes no real difference to the outcome: swapping loads still abort early.
>
> SLAB uses order 3 and SLUB order 4??? That needs to be tracked down.
>
> Ahh. Ok debugging increased the object size to an order 4. This should be
> order 3 without debugging.

But it was still order 4 when booted with slub_debug=O, which surprised me.
And that surprises you too?  If so, then we ought to dig into it further.

> Why are the slab allocators used to create slab caches for large object
> sizes?

There may be more optimal ways to allocate, but I expect that when
the ppc guys are writing the code to handle both 4k and 64k page sizes,
kmem caches offer the best span of possibility without complication.

> > Relying on order:3 or order:4 allocations is just too optimistic: ppc64
> > with 4k pages would do better not to expect to support a 128TB userspace.
>
> I thought you had these huge 64k page sizes?

ppc64 does support 64k page sizes, and they've been the default for years;
but since 4k pages are still supported, I choose to use those (I doubt
I could ever get the same load going with 64k pages).

Hugh