[v3 0/9] parallelized "struct page" zeroing

Michal Hocko mhocko at kernel.org
Thu Jun 1 02:31:31 AEST 2017

On Tue 30-05-17 13:16:50, Pasha Tatashin wrote:
> >Could you be more specific? E.g. how are other stores done in
> >__init_single_page safe then? I am sorry to be dense here but how does
> >the full 64B store differ from other stores done in the same function.
>
> Hi Michal,
>
> It is safe to do regular 8-byte and smaller stores (stx, st, sth, stb)
> without membar, but they are slower compared to STBI which require a membar
> before memory can be accessed.

OK, so why cannot we make zero_struct_page 8x 8B stores, other arches
would do memset. You said it would be slower but would that be
measurable? I am sorry to be so persistent here but I would be really
happier if this didn't depend on the deferred initialization. If this is
absolutely a no-go then I can live with that of course.

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs