RCU lockup issues when CONFIG_SOFTLOCKUP_DETECTOR=n - any one else seeing this?

Paul E. McKenney paulmck at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jul 26 13:55:45 AEST 2017

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 02:10:29PM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: Jonathan Cameron <Jonathan.Cameron at huawei.com>
> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 00:52:07 +0800
>
> > On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 08:12:45 -0700

> >> Interesting...  Why should it be necessary to fire up a thread on every
> >> CPU in order to make sure that RCU's grace-period kthreads get some
> >> CPU time?  Especially give how many idle CPUs you had on your system.
> >>
> >> So I have to ask if there is some other bug that the softlockup detector
> >> is masking.
> > I am thinking the same.  We can try going back further than 4.12 tomorrow
> > (we think we can realistically go back to 4.8 and possibly 4.6
> > with this board)
>
> Just to report, turning softlockup back on fixes things for me on
> sparc64 too.

Very good!

> The thing about softlockup is it runs an hrtimer, which seems to run
> about every 4 seconds.

I could see where that could shake things loose, but I am surprised that
it would be needed.  I ran a short run with CONFIG_SOFTLOCKUP_DETECTOR=y
with no trouble, but I will be running a longer test later on.

> So I wonder if this is a NO_HZ problem.

Might be.  My tests run with NO_HZ_FULL=n and NO_HZ_IDLE=y.  What are
you running?  (Again, my symptoms are slightly different, so I might
be seeing a different bug.)

							Thanx, Paul