[RFC v5 14/38] powerpc: initial plumbing for key management

Ram Pai linuxram at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 14 06:37:04 AEST 2017

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 12:45:00AM -0700, Ram Pai wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 01:28:25PM +1000, Balbir Singh wrote:
> > On Wed,  5 Jul 2017 14:21:51 -0700
> > Ram Pai <linuxram at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Initial plumbing to manage all the keys supported by the
> > > hardware.
> > >
> > > Total 32 keys are supported on powerpc. However pkey 0,1
> > > and 31 are reserved. So effectively we have 29 pkeys.
> > >
> > > This patch keeps track of reserved keys, allocated  keys
> > > and keys that are currently free.
> >
> > It looks like this patch will only work in guest mode?
> > Is that an assumption we've made? What happens if I use
> > keys when running in hypervisor mode?
>
> It works in supervisor mode, as a guest aswell as a bare-metal
> kernel. Whatever needs to be done in hypervisor mode
> is already there in power-kvm.

I realize i did not answer your question accurately...
"What happens if I use keys when running in hypervisor mode?"

Its not clear what happens. As far as I can tell the MMU does
not check key violation when in hypervisor mode. So effectively
I think, keys are ineffective when in hypervisor mode.

RP