gcc trunk fails to build kernel on PowerPC64 due to oprofile warnings

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Thu Jan 26 23:57:18 AEDT 2017

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 12:00 PM, David Laight <David.Laight at aculab.com> wrote:
> [...]

gcc-7 introduces lots of new warnings, some better than others. I'm
trying to categorize
both the new warnings and any others added in the recent years that we
may have missed
to see whether we want to turn them on by default or only in
scripts/Makefile.extrawarn
when building with W=1, W=2 or W=3.

I made a spreadsheet with the warnings that we have available in each version,
and also the number of unique output lines for that warning, see

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QemrLyvzrSDfm_MO3-_pwdfsTp2uqwjOdRBxxj6oo5M/edit?usp=sharing

For this specific warning, an ARM allmodconfig build shows 360
distinct warnings from a
total of 243 files. It's probably a good idea to look over them once
to see if anything sticks
out, but otherwise I think we change it to the W=2 level.

     Arnd