llist code relies on undefined behaviour, upsets llvm/clang

Anton Blanchard anton at samba.org
Mon Jan 16 22:42:29 AEDT 2017

Hi Peter,

> Last I checked I couldn't build a x86_64 kernel with llvm. So no, not
> something I've ever ran into.
>
> Also, I would argue that this is broken in llvm, the kernel very much
> relies on things like this all over the place. Sure, we're way outside
> of what the C language spec says, but who bloody cares ;-)

True, but is there anything preventing gcc from implementing this
optimisation in the future? If we are relying on undefined behaviour we
should have a -fno-strict-* option to cover it.

> If llvm wants to compile the kernel, it needs to learn the C dialect
> the kernel uses.

LLVM has done that before (eg adding -fno-strict-overflow). I don't
think that option covers this case however.

Anton