4.13-rc3: Unrecoverable exception 4100

Michael Ellerman mpe at ellerman.id.au
Mon Aug 7 19:56:28 AEST 2017

Nicholas Piggin <npiggin at gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, 04 Aug 2017 21:54:57 +0200
> Andreas Schwab <schwab at linux-m68k.org> wrote:
>
>> No, this is really a 4.13-rc1 regression.
>>
>> Andreas.
>>

> SLB miss with MSR[RI]=0 on
>
> lbz     r0,THREAD+THREAD_LOAD_FP(r7)
>
> Caused by bc4f65e4cf9d6cc43e0e9ba0b8648cf9201cd55f

Ah of course. Not sure why I haven't seen it in any of my testing :/

> Hmm, I'll see if something can be done, but that MSR_RI stuff in syscall
> exit makes things fairly difficult (and will reduce performance improvement
> of this patch anyway).
>
> I'm trying to work to a point where we have a soft-RI bit for these kinds of
> uses that would avoid all this complexity. Until then it may be best to
> just revert this patch.

OK. Let me know in the next day or two what you want to do.

One option would be to load THREAD_LOAD_FP/THREAD_LOAD_VEC before we
turn off RI.

It would be ugly, but if we think we can clean it up in the medium term
with soft-RI then maybe that would be OK.

cheers