WARN @lib/refcount.c:128 during hot unplug of I/O adapter.

Tyrel Datwyler tyreld at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Apr 11 03:53:08 AEST 2017

On 04/06/2017 09:04 PM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> Tyrel Datwyler <tyreld at linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:
>
>> On 04/06/2017 03:27 AM, Sachin Sant wrote:
>>> On a POWER8 LPAR running 4.11.0-rc5, a hot unplug operation on
>>> any I/O adapter results in the following warning
>>>
>>> This problem has been in the code for some time now. I had first seen this in
>>> -next tree.

<snip>

>>> Have attached the dmesg log from the system. Let me know if any additional
>>> information is required to help debug this problem.
>>
>> I remember you mentioning this when the issue was brought up for CPUs. I
>> assume the case is the same here where the issue is only seen with
>> adapters that were hot-added after boot (ie. hot-remove of adapter
>> present at boot doesn't trip the warning)?
>
> So who's fixing this?

I started looking at it when Bharata submitted a patch trying to fix the
issue for CPUs, but got side tracked by other things. I suspect that
this underflow has actually been an issue for quite some time, and we
are just now becoming aware of it thanks to the recount_t patchset being
merged. I'll look into it again this week.

-Tyrel