[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] (group) maintainership models

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Sep 3 08:16:51 AEST 2016

On Fri, 2016-09-02 at 13:26 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote:
> >

> > When I once looked, I thought all drivers using NO_IRQ were
> > specific
> > to powerpc or one of the less common architectures.

We deprecated NO_IRQ ages ago, it's 0 like it should be, but yes we may
have forgotten to "cleanup" the old users.

> powerpc definitely does seem to be the biggest case, with about half
> the instances of NO_IRQ being under arch/powerpc/ (and a few more in
> ppc-specific drivers).
>
> Adding the powerpc maintainers to the list - because it would really
> be nice to get rid of it, or at least make it *so* rare that we don't
> have people re-introducing it again because they thought it was the
> right thing to do.

Right. Originally it was -1 for us which causes the whole problem. I
changed it to be 0 after doing the whole irq domain remapping thing.
That was a loooong time ago.

> A fair amount of of it could even be done by some trivial scripting.
> Something like
>
>   git grep -wl NO_IRQ arch/powerpc/ | while read a
>   do
>       sed 's/(\([a-z_]*irq\) != NO_IRQ)/(\1)/' < $a > $a.new
>       sed 's/(\([a-z_]*irq\) == NO_IRQ)/(!\1)/' < $a.new > $a
>   done
>
> does fix at least a few of the cases. It still leaves several
> assignments and "return NO_IRQ;" statements, but a few more
> sed-scripts would take care of most of it. Then remove the #define,
> and do a full build to find any straggling cases.
>
> Michael? Ben?

It can just be replaced with "0" in all powerpc related cases yes.

Cheers,
Ben.