[RFC] fs: add userspace critical mounts event support

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Oct 5 11:12:58 AEDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof at kernel.org> wrote:

> I am not sure how/why a firmware loading daemon would be a better
> idea now. What Marc describes that Josh proposed with signals for
> userspcae seems more aligned with what we likely need

Quite frankly, I doubt you want a signal.

You will want to have some way to specify where the firmware files
are. Right now we have "fw_path[]" which is hardcoded except for the
first entry that can be set as a module parameter. But you'd probably
want to expand on that, which implies some /sys or /proc interface.

And once you do that, wouldn't it make more sense to just make the
"update the firmware path /proc/sys/kernel/fw_path file" make things
re-search for firmware?

In other words, the interface has to be something *sensible*. Not some
idiotic ad-hoc "send a signal" (of which that stupid original patch
was just a very odd example).

                      Linus