compiling master.

Nicholas Piggin npiggin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 15:55:31 AEDT 2016

On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 13:49:39 +0300
Denis Kirjanov <kda at linux-powerpc.org> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> compiling ppc head with bunch of asm errors on power8 box (gcc version 4.8.3 )
> checked commit log but found nothing special. Looks like it's asm issue?
> Has anybody seen that?
>
> arch/powerpc/kernel/exceptions-64s.S: Assembler messages:
> arch/powerpc/kernel/exceptions-64s.S:421: Error: operand out of range
> (0xffffffffffff8680 is not between 0x0000000000000000 and
> 0x000000000000ffff)

Hey, thanks for the report. It's likely due to the exception vectors rewrite,
and yes it's an assembler issue (what's your binutils version?). Your errors
look like they're coming from LOAD_HANDLER(). For some reason it seems to be
interpreting the immediate as signed, or the actual calculation ends up being
negative, neither of which should happen.

It might take a bit of trial and error, and the assembler doesn't give a lot
of good options to debug it, so if I can reproduce it here with your bintuils
version it will be helpful.

Thanks,
Nick