livepatch: change to a per-task consistency model

Jiri Kosina jikos at kernel.org
Wed May 18 18:16:22 AEST 2016

On Tue, 17 May 2016, Jessica Yu wrote:

> What about tasks sleeping on affected functions in uninterruptible sleep
> (possibly indefinitely)? Since all signals are ignored, we wouldn't be
> able to patch those tasks in this way, right? Would that be an
> unsupported case?

I don't think there is any better way out of this situation than
documenting that the convergence of patching could in such cases could
take quite a lot of time (well, we can pro-actively try to detect this
situation before the patching actually start, and warn about the possible
consequences).

But let's face it, this should be pretty uncommon, because (a) it's not
realistic for the wait times to be really indefinite (b) the task is
likely to be in TASK_KILLABLE rather than just plain TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs