usb: dwc2: regression on MyBook Live Duo / Canyonlands since 4.3.0-rc4

John Youn John.Youn at synopsys.com
Tue May 10 06:22:48 AEST 2016

On 5/9/2016 3:36 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Monday 09 May 2016 10:23:22 Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

>>> I tried. As per common-properties[0], I added little-endian; but it has no
>>> effect. I looked in dwc2_driver_probe and found no way of specifying the
>>> endian of the device. It all comes down to the dwc2_readl & dwc2_writel
>>> accessors. These - sadly - have been hardwired to use __raw_readl and
>>> __raw_writel. So, it's always "native-endian". While common-properties
>>> says little-endian should be preferred.
>>
>> Right, I meant, you should produce a patch adding a runtime test inside
>> those functions based on a device-tree property, a bit like we do for
>> some of the HCDs like OHCI, EHCI etc...
>>

> The patch that caused the problem had multiple issues:
>
> - it broke big-endian ARM kernels: any machine that was working
>   correctly with a little-endian kernel is no longer using byteswaps
>   on big-endian kernels, which clearly breaks them.

I'm a bit confused about how this is supposed to work. My
understanding was that the readl() and writel() are defined as little
endian. So byte-swapping was performed if the architecture is big
endian. And the raw versions never swapped, always using the "native"
endianness.

dwc2 is always treating the result of readl/writel as if it was read
in native endian. So it needs to read the registers in big-endian on
big-endian systems.

This was the premise on which this patch was made.

So for big endian systems, isn't what we want is to read in big-endian
without any byteswapping to little-endian? But your saying this breaks
big-endian ARM systems as well. Am I missing something?

The rest of the feedback makes sense. Just confused about this bit.

Regards,
John