VDSO unmap and remap support for additional architectures

Christopher Covington cov at codeaurora.org
Wed May 4 07:37:25 AEST 2016

On 04/29/2016 09:55 AM, Dmitry Safonov wrote:
> On 04/29/2016 04:22 PM, Christopher Covington wrote:
>> On 04/28/2016 02:53 PM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>>> Also, at some point, possibly quite soon, x86 will want a way for
>>> user code to ask the kernel to map a specific vdso variant at a specific
>>> address. Could we perhaps add a new pair of syscalls:
>>>
>>> struct vdso_info {
>>>      unsigned long space_needed_before;
>>>      unsigned long space_needed_after;
>>>      unsigned long alignment;
>>> };
>>>
>>> long vdso_get_info(unsigned int vdso_type, struct vdso_info *info);
>>>
>>> long vdso_remap(unsigned int vdso_type, unsigned long addr, unsigned
>>> int flags);
>>>
>>> #define VDSO_X86_I386 0
>>> #define VDSO_X86_64 1
>>> #define VDSO_X86_X32 2
>>> // etc.
>>>
>>> vdso_remap will map the vdso of the chosen type such at
>>> AT_SYSINFO_EHDR lines up with addr. It will use up to
>>> space_needed_before bytes before that address and space_needed_after
>>> after than address. It will also unmap the old vdso (or maybe only do
>>> that if some flag is set).
>>>
>>> On x86, mremap is *not* sufficient for everything that's needed,
>>> because some programs will need to change the vdso type.
>> I don't I understand. Why can't people just exec() the ELF type that
>> corresponds to the VDSO they want?
>
> I may say about my needs in it: to not lose all the existing
> information in application.
> Imagine you're restoring a container with 64-bit and 32-bit
> applications (in compatible mode). So you need somehow
> switch vdso type in restorer for a 32-bit application.
> Yes, you may exec() and then - all already restored application
> properties will got lost. You will need to transpher information
> about mappings, make protocol between restorer binary
> and main criu application, finally you'll end up with some
> really much more difficult architecture than it is now.
> And it'll be slower.

Perhaps a more modest exec based strategy would be for x86_64 criu to
handle all of the x86_64 restores as usual but exec i386 and/or x32 criu
service daemons and use them for restoring applications needing those ABIs.

Regards,
Christopher Covington

--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project