[Patch v2 1/2] powerpc: Send SIGBUS on unaligned copy and paste

Chris Smart chris at distroguy.com
Mon Jun 20 09:48:24 AEST 2016

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 05:20:05PM +1000, Balbir Singh wrote:

>On 17/06/16 09:33, Chris Smart wrote:

[snip]

>> +
>> +    /*
>> +     * ISA 3.0 (such as P9) copy, copy_first, paste and paste_last alignment
>> +     * check.
>> +     *
>> +     * Send a SIGBUS to the process that caused the fault.
>> +     *
>> +     * We do not emulate these because paste may contain additional metadata
>> +     * when pasting to a co-processor. Furthermore, paste_last is the
>> +     * synchronisation point for preceding copy/paste sequences.
>> +     */
>> +    if ((instruction & 0xfc0006fe) == PPC_INST_COPY)
>> +        return -EIO;
>
>Should this all be under cpu_has_feature(CPU_FTR_ARCH_300)?

I'm not sure we should or not. That instruction only exists on those
machines so is it worth adding an additional check when the next check
will fail anyway?

I guess it would reduce non ISA 3.0 machines to just a single check rather
than two, but increases ISO 3.0 machines to three.

I defer to the wisdom of others.

-c