[RFC 3/3] kexec: extend kexec_file_load system call

Mark Rutland mark.rutland at arm.com
Mon Jul 18 20:07:05 AEST 2016

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 10:30:24AM +0800, Dave Young wrote:
> On 07/15/16 at 02:19pm, Mark Rutland wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 09:09:55AM -0400, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> > > On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 10:42:01AM +0900, AKASHI Takahiro wrote:
> > >
> > > [..]
> > >
> > > Can one add more parameters to existing syscall. Can it break existing
> > > programs with new kernel? I was of the impression that one can't do that.
> > > But may be I am missing something.
> >
> > I think the idea was that we would only look at the new params if a new
> > flags was set, and otherwise it would behave as the old syscall.
> >
> > Regardless, I think it makes far more sense to add a kexec_file_load2
> > syscall if we're going to modify the prototype at all. It's a rather
> > different proposition to the existing syscall, and needs to be treated
> > as such.
>
> I do not think it is worth to add another syscall for extra fds.
> We have open(2) as an example for different numbers of arguments
> already.

Did we change the syscall interface for that?

I was under the impression that there was always one underlying syscall,
and the C library did the right thing to pass the expected information
to the underlying syscall.

That's rather different to changing the underlying syscall.

Regardless of how this is wrapped in userspace, I do not think modifying
the existing prototype is a good idea, and I think this kind of
extension needs to be a new syscall.

Thanks,
Mark.