[RFC 0/3] extend kexec_file_load system call

Thiago Jung Bauermann bauerman at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Jul 16 01:29:09 AEST 2016

Am Freitag, 15 Juli 2016, 14:33:47 schrieb Mark Rutland:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 09:26:10AM -0400, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 09:31:02AM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> > > I think that helps, as it makes the problem space correspond to that
> > > of modifying the command line, but I can still come up with countless
> > > attacks based on modifications of the /chosen node and/or the command
> > > line, in fact it's probably easier than any other node.
> >
> > I don't know anything about DTB. So here comes a very basic question.
> > Does DTB allow passing an executable blob to kernel or pass the
> > location of some unsigned executable code at kernel level. I think from
> > secureboot point of view that would be a concern. Being able to trick
> > kernel to execute an unsigned code at privileged level.
>
> The DTB itself won't contain executable code.
>
> However, arbitrary bindings could point kernel at such code. For
> instance, /chosen/linux,uefi-system-table could point the kernel at a
> faked EFI system table, with pointers to malicious code. So
> arbitrary modification of /chosen is not safe.

PowerPC doesn't have UEFI so this option is not a concern in that
architecture. I'm having a look at what a PowerPC kernel gets from /chosen
and haven't found anything of concern so far, but I'm still looking.

On the other hand, the kernel command line has the option acpi_rsdp, which
is used to pass the address of the RSDP. I don't really know much about EFI
so I'm not sure if it can be used to point to code that the kernel can
execute, but it does point to tables that contain AML code.

> Bindings describe arbitrary system features (devices, firmware
> interfaces, etc), so in general they might provide mechanisms to execute
> code.

Even bindings in /chosen?

--
[]'s