[RFC 0/3] extend kexec_file_load system call

Thiago Jung Bauermann bauerman at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Jul 14 12:18:04 AEST 2016

Am Mittwoch, 13 Juli 2016, 21:59:18 schrieb Arnd Bergmann:
> On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 3:45:41 PM CEST Thiago Jung Bauermann wrote:

> > > I guess petitboot can also just use kexec_load() instead of
> > > kexec_file_load(), as long as the initramfs containing petitboot is
> > > trusted by the kernel.
> >
> > For secure boot, Petitboot needs to use kexec_file_load, because of the
> > following two features which the system call enables:
> >
> > 1. only allow loading of signed kernels.
> > 2. "measure" (i.e., record the hashes of) the kernel, initrd, kernel
> >
> >    command line and other boot inputs for the Integrity Measurement
> >    Architecture subsystem.
> >
> > Those can't be done with kexec_load.
>
> Can't petitboot do both of these in user space?

To be honest I'm not sure if it *can't* be done from userspace but if you do
it from the kernel you can guarantee that any kernel image that is loaded
gets verified and measured.

Whereas if you verify and measure the kernel in userspace then if there's a
vulnerability in the system which allows an attacker to upload their own
binary, then they can use kexec_load directly and bypass the verification
and measurement.

So it's a more resilient design.

--
[]'s