[RFC 0/3] extend kexec_file_load system call

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jul 13 18:20:10 AEST 2016

Ard Biesheuvel <ard.biesheuvel at linaro.org> writes:
> On 13 July 2016 at 09:36, Russell King - ARM Linux
> <linux at armlinux.org.uk> wrote:

>>> For OpenPOWER machines, kexec is the bootloader. Our bootloader is a
>>> linux kernel and initramfs with a UI (petitboot) - this means we never
>>> have to write a device driver twice: write a kernel one and you're done
>>> (for booting from the device and using it in your OS).
>>
>> I think you misunderstood my point.
>>
>> On ARM, we do not go:
>>
>>         kernel (kexec'd from) -> boot loader -> kernel (kexec'd to)
>>
>> but we go:
>>
>>         kernel (kexec'd from) -> kernel (kexec'd to)
>>
>> There's no intermediate step involving any bootloader.
>>
>> Hence, my point is that the dtb loaded by kexec is _only_ used by the
>> kernel which is being kexec'd to, not by the bootloader, nor indeed
>> the kernel which it is loaded into.
>>
>> Moreover, if you read the bit that I quoted (which is what I was
>> replying to), you'll notice that it is talking about the DTB loaded
>> by kexec somehow causing the _bootloader_ to be redirected to an
>> alternative console.  This point is wholely false on ARM.
>>

> The particular example may not apply, but the argument that the DTB
> -as a description of the hardware topology- needs to be signed if the
> kernel is also signed is valid. We do the same in the UEFI stub, i.e.,
> it normally takes a dtb= argument to allow the DTB to be overridden,
> but this feature is disabled when Secure Boot is in effect. By the
> same reasoning, if any kind of kexec kernel image validation is in
> effect, we should either validate the DTB image as well, or disallow
> external DTBs and only perform kexec with the kernel's current DTB
> (the blob it was booted with, not the unflattened data structure)

DTB booted with != current description of hardware

We could have had: PCI hotplug, CPU/memory/cache offlined due to
hardware error, change in available pstates / CPU frequencies.

There is merit in having a signed dtb if you're booting a signed kernel
in a secure boot scenario. However, we still need to set up /chosen/ and
we still need a way to do something like the offb hack.

--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.