t1040 IFC flash driver Extended Chip Select

Scott Wood scott.wood at nxp.com
Fri Jul 8 06:34:00 AEST 2016

On 07/07/2016 02:44 PM, Daniel Walker wrote:
> It seems natual that if cspr is in the device tree, you would also want
> cspr_ext because both are used to identify the device. The fact that
> it's missing to me is strange. As I said in my prior email, even if
> uboot sets those, you could have cases when it's wrong. Why would I not
> be able to simply change the device tree to correct it ?

CSPR is not in the device tree.  The physical address of each chipselect
is in the device tree (via the ranges property on the IFC node) and that
covers both the address portion of CSPR, and CSPR_EXT.

What I do see missing from the driver is using CSPR_EXT to match the
device, most likely because the initial IFC version didn't have
CSPR_EXT.  Fixing that doesn't require a device tree change.

>>> Like I said mine doesn't do this, so it's required that it be set in an
>>> alternative way. The only alternative we have currently is adding some
>>> code to manually set the values but it's not ideal (and not upstreamable).
>> I wouldn't have a problem merging code in a platform board file that
>> writes a single register that a hard-to-update bootloader forgot to write.
>
> I can submit it to you, but I would much prefer a general solution that
> others can use without having to create board files. Our goal has been
> to reduce board files as much as possible, do you not agree with that?

I do agree that board files are not ideal, but they're still a
reasonable place to put board-specific quirks.

I don't want to put a half-measure into the main driver and pretend it's
a general solution.  If the driver is to set the address, it should also
set the rest of CSPR/CSOR, which requires that information to be added
to the device tree.  If you want to propose the latter I have no problem
with that, as long as compatibility is maintained.

-Scott