[v3,11/41] mips: reuse asm-generic/barrier.h

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Jan 27 19:05:24 AEDT 2016

On Jan 26, 2016 23:51, "Peter Zijlstra" <peterz at infradead.org> wrote:

> So for a moment it looked like MIPS wanted to equal or surpass Alpha in
> this respect.

If there is an architecture that I'd expect to try to take the "sucks more"
crown, MIPS would be it. They've already done the "worst cache award"
thing, and are proud members of the "stupid branch delay slot" crowd. MIPS
historically even did the "delayed load slot".

The only mistake they've never done, AFAIK, is to have a rotating register
file.

At the same time, the "load-to-dependent-store" thing you really have to
*work* at doing wrong. It's not enough to just have bad taste and
incompetent architects. You really have to spend real effort to screw up
that badly. It's really hard to do by mistake.

So I suspect that even MIPS can't get it wrong.

   Linus