[v3,11/41] mips: reuse asm-generic/barrier.h

Leonid Yegoshin Leonid.Yegoshin at imgtec.com
Fri Jan 15 08:45:44 AEDT 2016

On 01/14/2016 01:34 PM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 12:46:43PM -0800, Leonid Yegoshin wrote:
>>> That's madness. That document changes from version to version as to what
>>> we _think_ the actual hardware does. It is _NOT_ a specification.
>>>
>>> You cannot design hardware from that. Its incomplete and fails to
>>> specify a bunch of things. It not a mathematically sound definition of a
>>> memory model.
>>>
>>> Please stop referring to that document for what a particular barrier
>>> _should_ do.  Explain what MIPS does, so we can attempt to integrate
>>> this knowledge with our knowledge of PPC/ARM/Alpha/x86/etc. and improve
>>> upon our understanding of hardware and improve the Linux memory model.
>> I am afraid I can't help you here. It is very complicated stuff and
>> a model is actually doesn't fit your assumptions about CPUs well
>> without some simplifications which are based on what you want to
>> have.
>>
>> I say that SYNC_ACQUIRE/etc follows what you expect for smp_acquire
>> etc (basing on that document). And at least two CPU models were
>> tested with my patches (see it in LMO) for that last year and that
>> instructions are implemented now in engineering kernel.
>>
>> If you have something else in mind, you can ask me. But I prefer to
>> do not deviate too much from Documentation/memory-barriers.txt, for
>> exam - if it asks to have memory barrier somewhere, then I assume
>> the code should have it, and please - don't ask me a test which
>> violates the current version of document recommendations.
>>
>> For a moment I don't see a significant changes in this document for
>> MIPS Arch at least 1.5 year, and the only significant point is that
>> MIPS CPU Arch doesn't have yet smp_read_barrier_depends() and
>> smp_rmb() should be used instead.
> Is SYNC_ACQUIRE a memory-barrier instruction that orders prior loads
> against later loads and stores?

Yes, it is in MD00087 (table 6.6 of document Ver 6.04) -
https://imgtec.com/?do-download=4302

>    If so, and if MIPS does not do
> ordering based on address and data dependencies, I suggest making
> read_barrier_depends() be a SYNC_ACQUIRE rather than SYNC_RMB.

I understood that, after I see the example of using it.
Please consider to add that into Documentation/memory-barriers.txt (it
is not easy to find that this barrier is used for shared WRITE basing on
shared pointer), it would be helpful.

- Leonid.