Build failure: -Wno-unused-const-variable DNE on old GCC

Daniel Axtens dja at axtens.net
Fri Jan 8 09:51:35 AEDT 2016

Hi Arnd,

Thanks for your patch.
Acked-by: Daniel Axtens <dja at axtens.net>

> Alternatively, remove the -Werror. We occasionally get people that add this
> flag to a Makefile, but it tends to cause more trouble whenever a new
> gcc version arrives.

Speaking up as the person who added -Werror to cxl, I'd really rather
it stayed. There are a number of reasons I think this. Here's the first
three that came to mind.

 - cxl is powerpc specific (and always will be for deep seated hardware
   reasons), and is handled through the powerpc tree. arch/powerpc
   compiles with -Werror, and as part of the powerpc ecosystem, cxl
   should too.

 - It forces cxl developers to a higher standard. cxl has already had
   more than it's fair share of incredibly difficult to debug issues,
   so any way we can reduce the risk of errors going in makes our lives
   (and our end-users lives) better.

 - I am (and I'm quite confident the other cxl people are) quite happy to
   send patches to fix build-breaking issues such as this. Indeed, I
   would have, except you sent it during the Australian night :)

If it's really super-duper important we can consider putting it behind a
config guard, but I'd really rather not.

Regards,
Daniel