powerpc allyesconfig / allmodconfig linux-next next-20160729 - next-20160729 build failures

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Fri Aug 5 01:43:20 AEST 2016

On Thursday, August 4, 2016 11:54:18 PM CEST Nicholas Piggin wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 22:31:39 +1000
> Nicholas Piggin <npiggin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 14:09:02 +0200
> > Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote:
> > > Nicolas Pitre has done some related work, adding him to Cc. IIRC we have
> > > actually had multiple implementations of -ffunction-sections/--gc-sections
> > > in the past that people have used in production, but none of them
> > > ever made it upstream.
>
> After some googling around it seems lto has been difficult to
> get in and it was agreed this gc-sections should be done first
> anyway (although it may indeed provide a superset of DCE, but
> it's always going to be more costly and complicated). Lto would
> have the same issue with liveness of entry points, which is
> really the only thing you need change in the kernel as far as I
> can see.

Ok, good.

> I didn't really see what problems people were having with it
> though, so maybe it's architecture specific or something I
> haven't run into yet.

I remember trying it a few years ago without success, it's possible
that old binutils versions were more problematic.

I'm happy to test your patches on ARM, with my randconfig builder
I tend to find obscure bugs in corner cases that you might not
normally find with just defconfig/allmodconfig builds.

	Arnd