linker tables on powerpc - build issues

Michael Ellerman mpe at ellerman.id.au
Wed Aug 3 21:40:17 AEST 2016

"Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof at do-not-panic.com> writes:

> I've run into a few compilation issues with linker tables support [0]
> [1] on only a few architectures:
>
> blackfin - compiler issue it seems, I have a work around now in place
> arm  - some alignment issue - still need to iron this out
> powerpc - issue with including <asm/sections.h> on <asm/jump_labels.h>
>
> The issue with powerpc can be replicated easily with the patch below,
> and compilation fails even on a 'make defconfig' configuration, the
> issues are recurring include header ordering issues. I've given this
> some tries to fix but am still a bit bewildered how to best do this
> without affecting non-powerpc compilations.  The patch below
> replicates the changes in question, it does not include the linker
> table work at all, it just includes <asm/sections.h> instead of
> <asm/tables.h> to reduce and provide an example of the issues
> observed. The list of errors are also pretty endless... so was hoping
> some power folks might be able to take a glance if possible. If you
> have any ideas, please let me know.

What is the end goal?

You want to be able to include asm/sections.h in asm/jump_labels.h? So
that you can get some macros to wrap the pushsection etc, am I right?

The biggest problem I see is dereference_function_descriptor(), which
uses probe_kernel(), which pulls in uaccess.h.

But it doesn't really make sense for dereference_function_descriptor()
to be in sections.h AFAICS.

I'll see if I can unstitch it tomorrow.

cheers