radeonhd and xorg issues on powerpc p5020 and G5

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Sat Apr 30 17:10:21 AEST 2016

On 23.04.2016 02:06, luigi burdo wrote:

> On Quad G5 with 2 video boards
> if i set radeon.modeset=1  nouveau.modeset=1 Xorg -configure dont found
> at all the video boards
> if i set radeon.modeset=0  nouveau.modeset=1 Xorg -configure dont found
> the nouveau board
> if i set radeon.modeset=1  nouveau.modeset=0 Xorg -configure dont found
> the radeon board

Xorg -configure has various known issues and shouldn't be used anymore.
Xorg is normally able to automatically detect and use all GPUs in a
system without any xorg.conf file.

> if i set radeon.modeset=0  nouveau.modeset=0 no video working ... no tty
> too ;-)

That disables both kernel drivers, which are required for fbcon and Xorg.

> On P5020
> last of my test is this machine with a  radeon hd 7770 core edition
> if radeon drv is running the system run in softpipe mode and i face many
> drm errors and fence issue.
> i atteched the dmesg files.

Which kernel version are you testing? There were some fixes in 4.4/4.5
which may help for the kernel driver issues, but note that the Mesa
radeonsi driver for >= 7xxx Radeons still needs a lot of work to be
usable on big endian systems.