[RFC v6 06/10] PCI: Add a new PCI_BUS_FLAGS_MSI_REMAP flag

Yongji Xie xyjxie at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Apr 19 21:13:54 AEST 2016

On 2016/4/18 19:30, David Laight wrote:
> [...]

Thanks for your comments. But I didn't get your point here.
Why will exposing MSI-X table to userspace break the driver
for hardware which have the MSI-X tables in the same BAR as
other device registers? Could you give me more details?

The reason why we want to mmap MSI-X table is that there
may be some other critical device registers in the same page
as the MSI-X table. We prefer to handle the mmio access to
these registers in guest rather than in QEMU. So we would
like to see there is something else in the same 4k/64k area.

> In any case, if the hardware can't police the card's master transfers
> there is nothing to stop a different bus master block on the card
> from raising MSI-X interrupts - they are just a PCIe write.
> So all you are doing is raising the bar slightly and giving a very false
> sense of security.

Do you mean we can request a DMA to the target address
area that raises MSI-X interrupts? But for PPC64 with IODA
bridge, this invalid PCIe write will be prevented on PHB before
raising MSI-X interrupt. And I think the capability of interrupt
remapping or ITS can also do the same thing. If hardware didn't
support this, we would not expose MSI-X table in my patch.

Thanks,
Yongji