Trouble with DMA on PPC linux question

Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com
Tue Apr 19 07:54:51 AEST 2016

Good afternoon everyone,

We're trying to get some performance gains in an older embedded design by
adding DMA to our NAND driver.  The HW is an MPC8349 talking across a PCI
bus to a NAND controller and we have 512Mb of RAM.  We're using the 3.18
kernel and the Freescale "fsl,mpc8349-dma" driver.  I've verified using a
bus analyzer that DMA transactions are occurring on the PCI bus correctly
(correct addresses and the data I'm reading is coming across the bus to
the processor correctly).  What's not happening is periodically the data
being read doesn't make it to RAM.  I've narrowed this down to the
dma_addr_t I get back from dma_map_single().

Now I'm not an expert on how memory management in the PPC linux kernel
works, but based on some experimentation and stepping through some of the
code, translating a kernel virtual address is essentially subtracting
0xC0000000 from the virtual address.  I know the equations a bit more than
that, I've dug into some of the macros, but many of the constants compile
to zero on my setup, so the end result is just the subtraction.

On the DMA transactions that work, the virtual address I hand to
dma_map_single() is something like 0xe0840000 and the dma_addr_t result is
0x10840000 which is less than my 512Mb limit.  On the transactions that
don't work, the virtual address is 0xd5390000 with the mapped result being
0x25390000, which is past my upper bound on my RAM.  In fact it's not even
in my memory map, there's a hole there.  (Evidently the MPC4349 DMA engine
bypasses the TLBs, since I'm not getting an exception of any
kind...learned something new today!)  So on the transactions that don't
work, they fail because the physical address I give to the DMA engine
doesn't exist.  The only error indication I get is when I get an ECC error
because what's pointed to be the virtual address (where ever that may be)
still contains zeros and it fails the ECC comparison check.

So my question is, where should I be looking or what config option should
I be checking to try and figure out why the upper layers
(MTD/UBI/UBIFS/user space) should be giving the NAND layer or my driver a
virtual address that can't be translated into a physical address?  One
thing I have noticed (though I don't know if it's relevant or not) is that
when I get a "good" virtual address it's through a call to
nand_subpage_read() and when I get a "bad" virtual address it's through a
call to nand_read_page_swecc().

I'm not asking if someone can solve my problem for me, but any suggestions
of what rocks I can turn over to look for clues would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks for you time and suggestions!

Bruce