powerpc: Add user-return-notifier support

Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli ananth at in.ibm.com
Wed Sep 2 15:09:58 AEST 2015

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 10:29:12PM -0500, Scott Wood wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-09-02 at 08:07 +0530, Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli wrote:

> > > So how did you test this?  What platforms did you test it on?  What
> > > hardware
> > > support does it need?
> >
> > Simple kernel module below... Its fairly evident from the patch that the
> > feature is a software only construct and no specific hardware support is
> > needed.
>
> It's evident now that I'm aware of what the purpose is... It wasn't 100%
>
> clear before, at least from a quick glance, given that the explanation was
>
> "look at this hardware-specific KVM patch", whether there was an assumption
> of something else going on -- and even things that are implemented in
> software often work differently on book3s versus book3e, ppc32 versus ppc64,
> etc.

I meant the infrastructure is agnostic of the underlying Power platform.
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

> Why is this selected by KVM on PPC if KVM on PPC doesn't use it?  What is the
> user you're trying to enable?

I copied Paul and Gautham to get their thoughts on whether it is
something they could use on Power. At this time, apart from enabling the
feature, I do not have a specific usecase for it. We can park this patch
pending a real user on powerpc.

> Where is the "profiler" that Documentation/features/debug/user-ret-
> profiler/arch-support.txt hints at?

I guess profiler is a misnomer. Not sure why it was named that and not a
notifier.

Ananth