Missing operand for tlbie instruction on Power7

Peter Bergner bergner at vnet.ibm.com
Sat Oct 3 12:24:46 AEST 2015

On Fri, 2015-10-02 at 17:00 -0500, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> > > This isn't correct.  With POWER7 and later (which this compile
> > > is, since it's on LE), the tlbie instruction takes two register
> > > operands:
> > >
> > >     tlbie RB, RS
> > >
> > > The tlbie instruction on pre POWER7 cpus had one required register
> > > operand (RB) and an optional second L operand, where if you omitted
> > > it, it was the same as using "0":
> > >
> > >     tlbie RB, L
> > >
> > > This is a POWER7 and later build, so your change which adds the "0"
> > > above is really adding r0 for RS.  The new tlbie instruction doesn't
> > > treat r0 specially, so you'll be using whatever random bits which
> > > happen to be in r0 which I don't think that is what you want.
> >
> > Ok, than we can just zero out r5 for example and use it in tlbie as RS,
> > right?
>
> That won't assemble _unless_ your assembler is in POWER7 mode.  It also
> won't do the right thing at run time on older machines.

Correct, getting this to work on both pre-power7 and power7 and later
is tricky.  One really horrible hack would be to do:

  li r0,0
  tlbie r4,0

On pre-power7, the "0" will be taken as a zero L operand and on
power7 and later, it'll be r0, but with a zero value we loaded in
the insn before.  I know, really ugly. :-)

Peter