Generic IOMMU pooled allocator

Sowmini Varadhan sowmini.varadhan at oracle.com
Tue Mar 24 03:54:06 AEDT 2015

On (03/23/15 12:29), David Miller wrote:

> In order to elide the IOMMU flush as much as possible, I implemnented
> a scheme for sun4u wherein we always allocated from low IOMMU
> addresses to high IOMMU addresses.
>
> In this regime, we only need to flush the IOMMU when we rolled over
> back to low IOMMU addresses during an allocation.
>
> It made a noticable difference in performance.
>
> Unfortunately, with sun4v and the hypervisor, I'm not allowed to
> control when the IOMMU flush happens, it has to occur on every
> single IOMMU mapping change.  So this optimization was no longer
> possible there.
>
> Anyways, that's the history behind it.
> --

I see.

If it was only an optimization (i.e., removing it would not break
any functionality), and if this was done for older hardware,
and *if* we believe that the direction of most architectures is to
follow the sun4v/HV model, then, given that the sun4u code only uses 1
arena pool anyway, one thought that I have for refactoring this
is the following:

- Caller of iommu_tbl_range_alloc() can do the flush_all if they
  see start <= end for the one single pool
- lose the other ->flush_all invocation (i.e., the one that is
  done when iommu_area_alloc() fails for pass == 0, and we reset
  start to 0 to roll-back)

that would avoid the need for any iommu_tbl_ops in my patch-set.

But it would imply that you would still take the perf hit for the roll-back
if we failed the pass == 0 iteration through iommu_area_alloc().
Perhaps this is an acceptable compromise in favor of cleaner code
(again, assuming that current/future archs will all follow the HV
based design).

--Sowmini