Generic IOMMU pooled allocator

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Mon Mar 23 17:04:31 AEDT 2015

On Sunday 22 March 2015, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > > What I see in ARM is horribly complex, I can't quite make sense of it
> > > in a couple of minutes of looking at it, and doesn't seem to address the
> > > basic issue we are addressing here which is the splitting of the iommu
> > > table lock.
> >
> > Amen to that.. I thought it was just me :-)

Two problems on ARM IOMMU hardware are:

- a very wide range of incompatible approaches, from a simple sw-loaded
  iotlb with just a few hugepage entries to some rather complex
  ones
- a rather overdesigned "SMMU" that will be used by half the SoCs, but
  with some of them implementing slightly incompatible variants.

> > I plan to go through the code to see if/where the armd iommu code
> > does its locking and achieves its parallelism, but the mapping
> > between the sparc/powerpc approach and armd is not immediately obvious
> > to me.

My guess is that the ARM code so far has been concerned mainly with
getting things to work in the first place, but scalability problems
will only be seen when there are faster CPU cores become available.

> We might have more chance with x86_64 though... They would surely have
> similar scalability issues.

I believe the complexity of the modern Intel and AMD IOMMUs is similar
to the ARM SMMU, which appears to have been modeled after the Intel
one to some degree.

	Arnd