Generic IOMMU pooled allocator

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Mar 23 09:02:50 AEDT 2015

On Sun, 2015-03-22 at 20:36 +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> How does this relate to the ARM implementation? There is currently
> an effort going on to make that one shared with ARM64 and possibly
> x86. Has anyone looked at both the PowerPC and ARM ways of doing the
> allocation to see if we could pick one of the two to work on
> all architectures?

What I see in ARM is horribly complex, I can't quite make sense of it
in a couple of minutes of looking at it, and doesn't seem to address the
basic issue we are addressing here which is the splitting of the iommu
table lock.

I think we are looking at two very different approaches here. One is
to deal with horrendously broken HW which is an ARM SoC vendors
signature :) The other one is about performances and scalability on sane
HW.

Cheers,
Ben.