powerpc,numa: Memory hotplug to memory-less nodes ?

Nathan Fontenot nfont at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jun 24 22:13:36 AEST 2015

On 06/23/2015 11:01 PM, Bharata B Rao wrote:
> So will it be correct to say that memory hotplug to memory-less node
> isn't supported by PowerPC kernel ? Should I enforce the same in QEMU
> for PowerKVM ?

I'm not sure if that is correct. It appears that we initialize all online
nodes, even those without spanned_pages, at boot time. This occurs
in setup_node_data() called from initmem_init().

Looking at this I would think that we could add memory to any online node
even if it does not have any spanned_pages. I think an interesting test
we be to check for the node being online instead of checking to see if
it has any memory.

-Nathan