[v3] powerpc/configs: enable RTC class support

Vaibhav vaibhav at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jun 24 17:45:44 AEST 2015

Hi Behn,

Need your help in understanding the historical context for having two
rtc interfaces in the kernel (CONFIG_GEN_RTC & CONFIG_RTC_CLASS) and
which one should be enabled for pseries_defconfig. I have posted a patch
(http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/478899/) to enable CONFIG_RTC_CLASS
in the defconfig so that opal rtc driver (/drivers/rtc/opal-rtc.c) is
enabled.

Afaik CONFIG_RTC_CLASS is more generic and can emulate the older
interface provided by gen_rtc. So imho it would make sense to enable
rtc-class with pseries_defconfig as we already have an opal-rtc-driver.

My limited testing with gen_rtc on a tulleta reveals issues with hwclock
as it reports invalid rtc-time error which I suspect is due to a genrtc
driver trying to read date time values from an rtc port that is not
available on the tulleta.

With RTC_CLASS enabled however hwclock seems to work fine.

Requesting your inputs,

Thanks,
~Vaibhav