BUG: sleeping function called from ras_epow_interrupt context

Nathan Fontenot nfont at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Jul 17 03:39:11 AEST 2015

On 07/16/2015 01:23 AM, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On 07/15/2015 09:58 PM, Nathan Fontenot wrote:

>>> I'm not very familiar with this stuff, but isn't the EPOW interrupt
>>> something that is very time-critical? Moving parts of the handler into a
>>> kernel thread then does not sound like a very good idea to me...
>>>
>>> Another question: Can it happen at all that this get-sensor call results
>>> in a sleep condition? Looking at commit ID
>>> 81b73dd92b97423b8f5324a59044da478c04f4c4 ("Fix might-sleep warning on
>>> removing cpus"), which apparently fixed a similar issue for CPU
>>> hot-plugging, indicates that at least some of the rtas calls are never
>>> returning the busy code? In that case we could fix this by introducing a
>>> similar rtas_get_sensor_fast() function? (or simply revert 587f83e8dd50d
>>> which would be quite similar, I think)
>>>

>> Looking at the PAPR, the get-sensor-state rtas call for the EPOW sensor
>> is listed as a fast call and should not return a busy indication.
>
> Great, good to know, thanks for looking that up! So IMHO we should
> either introduce a rtas_get_sensor_fast() function or revert
> 587f83e8dd50d ... any preferences? Shall I come up with a patch?

A quick look at the kernel, I only find three places that rtas_get_sensor
is called. The instance you point out here for the EPOW sensor is the
only time I find it called for a sensor that should not return a busy
indication.

Reverting commit 587f83e8dd50d would solve the issue but not fix any future
users of a fast get-sensor call. I don't have an issue with a patch for a
rtas_get_sensor_fast().

-Nathan