[RFC v4 00/25] Re-use nvram module

Finn Thain fthain at telegraphics.com.au
Tue Jul 14 17:57:35 AEST 2015

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> How are we gonna merge this?

I think the series would have to be merged almost whole. For the most
part, no maintainer can merge any of this without ACKs from others:

- to improve code re-use by replacing an API shared by arch-specific code
  and a variety of drivers means getting ACKs from everyone concerned (or
  the old API can't be removed).

- to move arch-specific code out of a generic driver means getting ACKs
  from both arch maintainer and driver maintainer. Some of this
  arch-specific code is shared by m68k, x86 and arm (but not powerpc) and
  this complicates things.

- to adopt a new Kconfig convention in a uniform and consistent way seems
  to require simultaneous changes in various drivers and architectures.

> Have you looked into the dependencies?

What I saw was not pretty.

> Are there (large) parts we can merge in parallel?

Not AFAICT. Two patches could be cherry picked, that might make sense to
merge by themselves. Those are patches 2 and 12. Either or both could be
reviewed and merged by the char device maintainers.

There are a couple of other small patches that could probably be cherry
picked without breaking anything but these changes are not justified
except by subsequent patches.

> Thanks again!

No worries.